18 years +
Backpack, Canoe, Rock Climb, Whitewater Raft
San Antonio, TX
Salt Lake City, UT
The WA Spring Gap Semester Southwest provides our students with a beautiful outdoor classroom set for many adventures along the way. Canoe through the rugged landscapes of Big Bend National Park and the historical Labyrinth Canyon. Backpack the remote wilderness of the Coronado National Forest, Canyonlands National Park, and Grand Staircase Escalante. Learn about the history of the Indigenous Peoples of Chaco Culture National Park, Hovenweep National Monument and Natural Bridges National Monument. Overnight whitewater raft on the Colorado River. Follow a 4 day rock climbing progression at the Cochise Stronghold. Build your confidence in recreating safely by earning a Wilderness First Responder / First Aid certification.
Designed for students 18+, this Gap Semester program provides students with the opportunity to sharpen their backcountry hard skills and leadership abilities within a supportive and inclusive community. Whether it’s your first time camping or you’re an avid outdoors person, you will walk away with transferable skills fit for college, careers, and more.
- Canoe in Big Bend National Park – 7 days
- Backpack in the Coronado National Forest – 7 days
- Rock Climbing progression at the Cochise Stronghold – 4 days
- Explore the historic cities of the ancestral Puebloan people – 3 days
- Canoe in Labyrinth Canyon – 7 days
- Backpack in Canyonlands National Park – 3 days
- Wilderness First Responder Certification / CPR & First Aid course – 7 days
- Overnight Rafting expedition on the Colorado River – 5 days
- Backpacking Course and Capstone Presentation in Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument – 5 days
Trip Price Includes
- WFR Certification
- Group gear
- Personal gear and clothing
- Airfare to and from the trip start and end
- Academic credit (optional)
My gap semester with Wilderness Adventures was nothing short of transformative, and I can't recommend the program enough to any student considering taking a gap year before or during their time in college.
Rose, 2020 Gap Semester Student