Work at MOLA
Missoula Outdoor Learning Adventures (MOLA) is looking for outdoor leaders for our 2023 Summer Season. MOLA Instructors will work outside all day, every day right in our backyard of Western Montana. Our program runs for 11 weeks throughout the summer Monday through Friday with occasional programming on the weekends. We are looking for highly motivated, passionate people who are able to work independently and display great risk management in group settings.
MOLA Instructors will take kids ages 6-14 to hike, bike, raft, climb, canoe, kayak, and swim each day in a day camp style program. Instructors will work with a small group of campers and at least one co-instructor each week, leading their assigned group through each activity offered. Experience instructing each of our offered activities is encouraged, but not required! Instructors are responsible for their own accommodations in Missoula, MT for the summer season.
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License and an excellent driving record with no major infractions or unsafe conduct. Employees will be required to drive a 15-passenger van
- A minimum of 2 professional references
- Experience working with youth
- A passion for working in the outdoors through all weather variables
- A minimum of Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR Training. Aerie Backcountry Medicine based in Missoula is a great organization to look into for a WFA certification!
- A guide permit from Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks. We will advise you on this upon hiring!
- Housing is not provided while working for MOLA
Salary & Benefits
- Weekly pay rate depends on position and previous experience
- Access to MOLA gear
- Access to a wide range of pro deals and industry discounts
Dates of Employment
- Contracts run May 30th- August 25th
- MOLA Staff Training will be held May 30th- June 2nd and is required for all employees
- The first week of camp will kick off on June 5th and our final day of camp is August 25th
- Hours are generally 9am-5pm Mon-Fri, with overnight campout possible on some Thursdays as well as some extended hours from 8:30am-5:30pm
- There may be opportunities for days off with enough advance notice
How to Apply
- Submit the application
- Upload your resume as a PDF Document
- Complete the background check form
- Upload a copy of your current driver’s license
Frequently Asked Questions
Once you apply, you can expect to hear from us within one week on next steps. If your application aligns with what we are looking for in candidates, we will offer you an interview. This interview will be a video call with a member of our Leadership Team. Following a successful interview, we will check references. Following a great reference check, we would extend an offer of employment.
There is no deadline as we hire on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
We hire a select number of Junior Counselors (JCs) every summer. To be a JC, you must be between the ages of 14 and 18 and must be able to commit to 4 weeks a summer.
All applicants are required to hold Wilderness First Aid certification. Additionally, you are required to have a CPR certification.
We are looking for a combination of things. First, we are looking for a desire to work with youth. Second, we are looking for a proven track record of leadership. Third, we are looking for team players who want to work in outdoor settings.
Pay is determined by two factors. The first is how many years you have worked for MOLA. The second is how many weeks you are willing to commit to MOLA for the summer. Your pay will increase the more summers you give. Your pay will also increase the more weeks you are available in the summer season.
May 30 through June 2, 2023. The timing of these dates can vary, but it will usually be 9am to 4pm.
We provide an early sign-on bonus for all staff who sign up to work early in the year. The sign-on bonus is paid to all applicants prior to March 1 and will be applied to their first paycheck. We also recognize and bonus certain certifications like WEMT, WFR and Lifeguarding/Swift Water Rescue. Ask Cass for more details on this.
8:30-4:30 or 9-5 unless available for early pickup/drop off