POSITION FULL AS OF 12/28/22
We are no longer hiring for the Trip Counselor position for the 2023 summer season. Any applications submitted after 12/28/22 will be automatically waitlisted.
Leading for Wilderness Adventures offers the opportunity to experience a wide range of exciting locations, cultures, and remote wilderness areas, all the while providing a group of students with an unmatched opportunity for growth that they will remember for the rest of their lives.
Along with Trip Leaders, Wilderness Adventures is looking for trip counselors who are enthusiastic about working with students ages 11-20 in group settings. Counselors will work with two Trip Leaders to take students through exciting, yet challenging adventure activities. Trips are mentally and physically challenging for both staff AND students, with adventures ranging from one to six weeks in duration.
Wilderness Adventures seeks counselors who will be a positive influence on the participants, an inspiring role model, devoted to supporting student growth and education throughout the trip and creating a fun and non-competitive environment in which the students can thrive. Trip Counselors are mature and willing to step up into this leadership role as they will participate with students in a wide variety of activities such as: mountaineering, climbing, backpacking in over 30 National Parks and wilderness areas, rock climbing, sea kayaking, whitewater rafting and kayaking, ice climbing, canyoneering, sailing, snorkeling, SCUBA diving, and international and domestic service projects. Experience in these activities is helpful, but not required.
- 19-20 years of age by June 4, 2023
- An excellent driving record with no major infractions of unsafe conduct.
- You will be required to drive a 15-passenger van towing an 8-foot utility trailer if leading one of our domestic trips. Trip Counselors will NOT drive vans with students in them.
- A minimum certification in Wilderness First Responder by June 2023.
- You can apply and then complete the certification before June or through our sponsored course.
- A minimum of two professional references.
- College graduate or in the process of completing a degree.
- A passion for working with youth and youth development.
- Quality experience teaching/leading in a variety of settings, ideally with students in grades 5-12.
- Availability June 4- August 7, 2023.