Preparing for Your First Camping Trip
Summer is right around the corner, and we hope you are getting excited for your Wilderness Adventures trip! For many students, this may be their first experience spending an extended period of time away from home, so we wanted to offer some tips for first time overnight campers to make this experience the best it can be!
Like the first Leave No Trace principle says: Plan Ahead and Prepare! Making the most out of your Wilderness Adventures experience starts at home! Here are some tips for before you leave on your trip:
- Read over your trip itinerary! Discuss with your family what you are most looking forward to! And maybe consider elements of the trip that may make you feel a bit nervous. Talking about and thinking through these pieces before the trip can help start you off on the right foot!
- Break in those hiking boots, get that backpacking pack fitted, maybe spend a night in your sleeping bag on the living room floor! Getting comfortable with your gear before you head out will help your transition onto your trip.
- What is your favorite meal to eat at home? Write down the ingredients you need so you can make it with your new friends. There is nothing better than a familiar dinner cooked over a Camp Chef stove.
- Think about some of your goals for your trip! What do you want to accomplish on your adventure this summer?
- Get your questions answered. There is a lot of information to sort through, so if you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to us at Wilderness Adventures! We are so excited that you are joining us on the trail this summer and we want to make sure you have the best experience possible! Also remember that the logistics team here at WA (the folks that get to plan every last detail of your adventure) is hosting a Spring Webinar Series for students signed up for 2023 programs to answer all your questions!
When you’re on your trip, here are some ways to make the most of your adventure!
- Keep a running list or a journal of stories from your trip that you want to share with your family and friends when you get home!
- Pack a camera (digital or disposable) so you can share your adventures when you get home. GoPros are welcome too!
- Embrace the challenge! You will grow and learn so much on this trip, so be ready to take it all in.
We are so excited for a summer of adventure, challenge and growth! Let us know how you are getting ready for your trip!