18 years +
Backpack, Community Service, Ice Climb, Mountaineer, Rock Climb, Sea Kayak, Whitewater Raft
The WA Fall Gap Semester Pacific Northwest provides our students with a beautiful outdoor classroom set for many adventures along the way. Backpack through the rugged landscapes of the North Cascades NP, Mount Adams Wilderness, and Olympic NP. Mountaineer with professional guides up on Mount Baker. Backcountry sea kayak through the stunning waters of the San Juan Islands. Learn what it takes to raft guide through overnight whitewater rafting on the Deschutes River. Follow a 4 day rock climbing progression at the world famous Smith Rock. Build your confidence through a Wilderness First Responder / First Aid certification.
Designed for students 18+, this Gap Semester program provides students with the opportunity to sharpen their backcountry hard skills and leadership abilities within a supportive and inclusive community. Whether it’s your first time camping or you’re an avid outdoors person, you will walk away with transferable skills fit for college, careers, and more.
- Backpacking in North Cascades National Park – 6 days
- Mountaineering course on Mount Baker – 6 days
- Backcountry sea kayaking in the San Juan Islands – 4 days
- Backpacking in the Mount Adams Wilderness – 4 days
- Raft guide training course on the Deschutes River – 7 days
- Backcountry community service project in Eagle Cap Wilderness – 5 days
- Rock climbing progression at Smith Rock State Park – 4 days
- Wilderness First Responder certification / CPR & First Aid course – 7 days
- Backpacking and Capstone Presentation in Olympic National Park – 5 days
The Fall Gap Semester Pacific Northwest program includes adventure based activities as well as certification opportunities.
I got a lot of experience working, talking, and living with people who have very different perspectives and experiences, helping with my overall leadership abilities
Hassaan, WALI Student
Trip Price Includes
- Group gear
- Wilderness First Responder Certification
- Personal gear and clothing
- Airfare to and from the trip start and end
- Tuition for academic credit through University of Wyoming