Become a Fly Fishing Trip Leader
Wilderness Adventures offers a fly fishing progression for students starting in the 7th grade and continuing through high school. These trips allow students who are passionate about fly fishing to have 3 consecutive years at Wilderness Adventures, progressively building their experience each year with more skills, new terrain, and more advanced techniques. Unlike many trips at Wilderness Adventures, our fly fishing programs focus very specifically on fly fishing as opposed to incorporating new activities every couple of days. While whitewater rafting, ziplining, and high ropes courses may be peppered in along the way, these programs are very specifically designed for students who want to spend their days on the hunt for hogs.
Wilderness Adventures is looking for trip leaders who are enthusiastic about working with student ages 11-20 on our fly fishing programs. Leaders will guide groups of 10 students, with a co-leader, through exciting and challenging activities. The trips are both mentally and physically challenging for leaders and participants and are 16 days in length. Fly Fishing Trip Leaders should have experience fly fishing and backpacking and be comfortable teaching these skills to students.
Wilderness Adventures seeks leaders who will be a positive influence on the participants, an inspirational role model, devoted to supporting student growth and education throughout the trip and creating a fun and non-competitive environment in which the students can thrive.
Learn more about the Fly Fishing programs at Wilderness Adventures —
- Minimum of 21 years old by June 2019.
- Applicants must have and maintain an excellent driving record with no major infractions of unsafe conduct. You will be required to drive a 15-passenger van towing an 8-foot utility trailer if leading one of our domestic trips.
- A minimum certification in Wilderness First Responder by June 2019. (You can apply and then complete the certification before June or through our sponsored course).
- College graduate or in the process of completing a degree.
- Quality experience teaching/leading in a variety of settings, ideally with students in grades 5-12.
Salary & Benefits
- Fly Fishing Trip Leaders are contracted to lead two back-to-back 16-day trips.
- All program expenses will be paid for while working for Wilderness Adventures (transportation and flights to the trip start and end locations, all accommodations, all meals, all activities).
- Wilderness Adventures sponsored WFR course on the University of Utah campus.
- Wilderness Adventures offers many pro-deals and industry discounts.