Become a Trip Leader
Wilderness Adventures boasts 45 years of success in providing life-changing summer adventures for students. Nothing is more essential to this success than the enthusiasm, skills and dedication of our leaders. Leading for Wilderness Adventures offers the opportunity to experience a wide range of exciting locations, cultures, and remote wilderness areas, all the while providing a group of students with an unmatched opportunity for growth that they will remember for the rest of their lives.
Wilderness Adventures is looking for trip leaders who are enthusiastic about working with student ages 11-20 in group settings. Leaders will guide groups of 10-15 students, with a co-leader through exciting yet challenging adventure activities, as well as teach the curriculum designed for each of our trip types: Discovery Adventures, Explorer Adventures, High Trails Adventures, and Global Trekker Adventures. The trips are both mentally and physically challenging for leaders and participants, with adventures ranging from one to six weeks in duration.
Wilderness Adventures seeks leaders who will be a positive influence on the participants, an inspirational role model, devoted to supporting student growth and education throughout the trip and creating a fun and non-competitive environment in which the students can thrive. Our leaders and students participate in a wide variety of activities such as: mountain climbs, backpacking in over 30 National Parks and wilderness areas, rock climbing, sea kayaking, whitewater rafting and kayaking, ice climbing, canyoneering, sailing, snorkeling, SCUBA diving, trekking through Europe’s hut system, international and domestic service projects, and language programs. Experience in these activities is helpful, but not required.
- Minimum of 21 years old by June 2018.
- Applicants must have and maintain an excellent driving record with no major infractions of unsafe conduct. You will be required to drive a 15-passenger van towing an 8-foot utility trailer if leading one of our domestic trips.
- A minimum certification in Wilderness First Responder by June 2018. (You can apply and then complete the certification before June or through our sponsored course).
- College graduate or in the process of completing a degree.
- Quality experience teaching/leading in a variety of settings, ideally with students in grades 5-12.
- Available to work the entire duration of the trip contract: June 9, 2018 – August 11, 2018.
Salary & Benefits
- Leaders are contracted to lead one to three trips ranging from one to six weeks each.
- All program expenses will be paid for while working for Wilderness Adventures (transportation and flights to the trip start and end locations, all accommodations, all meals, all activities).
- Wilderness Adventures sponsored WFR course on the University of Utah campus.
- Wilderness Adventures offers many pro-deals and industry discounts.
Dates of Employment
- Leader training for all staff begins on June 9, 2018 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Most leaders will finish in Salt Lake City on August 11, 2018. We do have a few trips that run later into August.
How to Apply
What do I need to apply?
- Complete the online application
- Upload a cover letter and resume as PDF Documents
- Upload a copy of your current driver’s license
- Upload copies of all certifications (CPR, First Aid, Lifeguarding, PADI, WFA, WAFA, WFR and/or WEMT) that will remain current through August 31, 2018.
- Upload a profile photo along with your online application, or e-mail a digital headshot of yourself to email@example.com.
- Friday, December 15, 2017
- Friday, January 19, 2018
- Friday, February 23, 2018
- Friday, March 16, 2018
We have four application deadlines and recommend that applicants apply by the earliest deadline possible. The Wilderness Adventures hiring period runs from mid November until early April. The majority of our applications arrive by the January 19 deadline. If you will be abroad in the spring, please aim to apply by the December 15 deadline.